North Korea threatened on Wednesday to call off the historic meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US president Donald Trump saying it has no interest in a "one-sided" affair meant to pressure Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear weapons.
The warning by North Korea's first vice foreign minister, Kim Kye-gwan, came hours after the country suddenly called off a high-level meeting with South Korea to protest US-South Korean military exercises that Pyongyang has long claimed are invasion rehearsals.
Mr Trump did not immediately react to Mr Kim’s warning, and the White House issued only a statement. “We are aware of the South Korean media report,” the press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said. “The United States will look at what North Korea has said independently, and continue to coordinate closely with our allies.”
Despite last week’s unforgettable handshake between Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in, there is a strong perception that it failed to stir things in the right place as tensions still persist between the Koreas, even though North Korea declared last month an end to its nuclear and long-range missile tests and freed three Americans held in its territory, sending them home with Mr Pompeo.