THE STORIES BEHIND THE HEADLINES

Abu Dhabi

London

New York

Tuesday 20th March 2018

15 Killed in a Raid by Jihadist in Burkina Faso

Counterterrorism & Security

7Dnews London - AFP

Sat, 27 Jul 2019 20:27 GMT

Fifteen people were killed and properties were plundered and burned to the ground by armed jihadists as they violently raided a village in Burkina Faso’s restive north AFP reported on Saturday, July 27th.

The raid took place on Thursday night, with “around 20 individuals attacking the village of Diblou,” said a security source who put the death toll at 14. One witness account confirmed how the armed militia terrorised everyone and burned shops as well as motorcycles, and another stated that the entire market was looted.

This comes a month after nineteen people died in an attack on a village in the troubled north of Burkina Faso, in the district of Arbinda.

Most attacks in the former French colony are attributed to the jihadist group Ansarul Islam, which emerged near the Mali border in December 2016, and to the JNIM (Group to Support Islam and Muslims), which has sworn allegiance to Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.

Those groups are believed to be responsible for around 500 deaths since 2015. The capital of Ouagadougou has been attacked three times.

It is believed that the poor Sahel state has been battling a rising wave of jihadist attacks over the last four years which began in the north but have since spread to the east, near the border with Togo and Benin.

Earlier this month the parliament in Burkina Faso extended the state of emergency to six months until January, to be imposed in provinces grappling with the jihadist violence. The extension “aims at buttressing the fight against insecurity and gives the security and defence forces more opportunities and means to pursue” their goals, the parliament said.


Middle East