Around 2,500 people are unaccounted for in the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian, the Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said Wednesday September 11th, AFP reported.
"At this point, there are approximately 2,500 individuals registered on the Bahamian government register (of missing people)," NEMA spokesman Carl Smith told reporters adding that some of the missing people may eventually be located.
"This list has not yet been checked against government records of who is staying in shelters or who has been evacuated," he said.
At least 50 people died in the hurricane, which slammed into the northern Bahamas as a Category 5 storm. This death toll is expected to rise significantly, officials have said.
More than 5,500 people have been evacuated, so far, from the northern Bahamas islands of Grand Bahama and Abaco, which were devastated by the storm, the NEMA spokesman said.
Smith said that over the past day or so there had been a "significant reduction," however, in the numbers of people seeking to leave.
He also added that permission was being given to resume commercial flights to Abaco on a "limited basis" but relief and evacuation flights will be a priority.