Abu Dhabi


New York

Tuesday 20th March 2018

2 Dead and 200 Infected by Listeria Bacteria in Spain

Lifestyle & Health

7Dnews London

Tue, 27 Aug 2019 19:10 GMT

The government of the southern region of Andalusia announced on Tuesday August 27th that a woman died after eating tainted meat in Spain, the second fatality in a listeria outbreak that has seen more than 200 people infected with the potentially fatal food-borne bacteria, according to AFP.

According to the government’s statement, a 74-year-old patient died in hospital in Seville just over a week after a 90-year-old woman also passed away. Furthermore, the regional government stated a total of 196 people in Andalusia are confirmed to be infected.

Earlier this month, the government warned that a product of pork stuffed with garlic and other condiments and sold under the commercial name "La Mecha" made by Seville-based company Magrudis, was the source of the listeria outbreak.

The entire batch of that particular product has been recalled from shops, Spain’s health ministry said, adding that the outbreak has spread to other regions, with seven confirmed cases outside Andalusia.

Furthermore, the health ministry said that a British citizen was infected and diagnosed in France after eating stuffed meat in Seville and a woman has lost her baby due to the bacteria.

Listeria is a common bacterium that causes listeriosis, an infection that mainly affects the elderly, pregnant women, new-borns and people with weakened immune systems.

Symptoms of listeriosis include fever and muscle aches, and sometimes diarrhoea or other gastrointestinal problems, and some patients suffer headaches, confusion, and convulsions.

In addition, it can take up to six weeks after consuming contaminated foods for symptoms to occur.