Authorities in the Canadian city of Winnipeg said on Tuesday July 9th that a leak of carbon monoxide into a small hotel in the city caused 46 people to be sent to hospital, 15 of them in a critical condition, Reuters has reported.
Fifty-two staff and guests were evacuated from the Super 8 Motel, the City of Winnipeg said in a release, after the fire department received an alarm from the boiler room of the motel at 10:19 a.m. CDT (1519 GMT).
“I’m very happy to say that none of the patients were requiring resuscitation,” Winnipeg Fire and Paramedic Chief John Lane said at a news conference. “But their carbon monoxide levels were such that they were in the critical category.”
Gas supply company Manitoba Hydro said on Twitter that it had cut off the gas from the small hotel and started to ventilate the building.
The gas company has yet to determine the cause of the leak.