Security sources revealed that the eight members of the banned Muslim Brotherhood who have been arrested in Kuwait and extradited to Egypt were holding meetings in Turkey and Qatar.
On Friday July 12th, Kuwaiti authorities announced that it arrested eight members of the Muslim Brotherhood terrorist group. Adding that all arrested men are wanted by Egyptian security forces. Some of them have already been sentenced to up to 15 years in jail and some are accused of being involved in the murder of Egypt's late Prosecutor General Hesham Barakat.
Kuwait’s local media said that the arrested men who fled Egypt made Kuwait a centre of their terrorist operations and were detained in a series of raids conducted by Kuwaiti security forces.
A special unit of Kuwait’s Interior Ministry uncovered the cell, identified the locations of its members and detained them in a special operation.
According to a statement carried by the state-run news agency KUNA, initial investigations concluded that the militants admitted carrying out terrorist operations and breaching security in Egypt.
Inquiries are continuing to find out who helped them flee Egypt and cooperated with them in Kuwait, helping them to hide there.
The arrested terrorists were conducting regular meetings in Turkey and Qatar arranging their operations, Sky News Arabia cited security sources. The sources added that Cairo is still looking for five other convicts in the cell, who left Kuwait, some to Qatar and others to Turkey.
The security sources said, "Investigations conducted by Kuwaiti security authorities revealed that members of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood cell are part of the larger system that has been monitored by the authorities for the past three years, until being arrested at last.”
Kuwaiti authorities announced that it will not tolerate anyone who cooperates or associates with this terrorist cell, or any other terrorist cells or organisations trying to disturb security. They stipulated that they will seriously penalise anyone who is thinking of harming Kuwait's security.
According to security experts, some of the members are using illegal passports acquired before the Egyptian security authorities issued orders to prevent them from travelling.
The arrests in Kuwait will prompt the leaders of the groups in Turkey and London to consider changing their concealment strategy, said Mohammed Al-Ghabari, former director of the National Defence College in Egypt and a security expert at the Nasser Military Academy.
“The Brotherhood believed that by fleeing Egypt they were safe,” he said to Arab News website. “But what happened in Kuwait may change their methodology, and encourage those who committed acts of violence to return to Egypt to hand themselves over to the Egyptian authorities.”
Al-Ghabari added that the Egyptian security services were still investigating Muslim Brotherhood terrorist operations in Egypt, and the search continued for the perpetrators, including those who had fled abroad.
The terrorists had been taking advantage of the spread of freedom in Kuwait and abused it to their advantage, Saudi political analyst and international relations scholar Dr Hamdan Al-Shehri told Arab News in Remarks, published on Sunday July 14th.
“Arresting these terrorists is a step in the right direction and sends a strong message to those who think they can continue to spread their terrorist ideologies on Kuwaiti soil,” he said.
“It is now clear that these militant cells are being supported by Qatar and Turkey. Qatar provides the funds, along with a media platform like Al-Jazeera, while Turkey uses them as a mouthpiece to expand its influence in the region.”
Egypt and its allies, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, consider the Muslim Brotherhood a "terrorist" organisation.
After the fall of Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt in 2013, Turkey and Qatar emerged as the big backers for the terrorist group, with both countries hosting large numbers of its leaders. Meanwhile, the two regimes refuse to respond to calls to stop support and finance of the banned group.