THE STORIES BEHIND THE HEADLINES

Abu Dhabi

London

New York

Tuesday 20th March 2018

Brazilian Police Arrest Third School Shooting Suspect

Counterterrorism & Security

7Dnews London - AP

Wed, 20 Mar 2019 17:46 GMT

Brazilian police have arrested a third teenager for his alleged role in a school shooting that left eight people dead.

The arrest, which was carried out on March 19th, saw police officers claiming the teen was possibly the mastermind behind the attack, in which the two attackers themselves died.

"He is an intellectual mentor. He bought objects that could allow him to participate in that crime," said officer Alexandre Dias, who serves with the local police unit in Suzano, a suburb of Sao Paulo.

The 17-year-old male, whose identity has been withheld, is believed to have also been a former student of the Raul Brasil public school in Suzano. Police questioned the suspect last week but allowed him to return home. This week the police believed they had enough evidence to affect an arrest.

According to AP, Sao Paulo's Court of Justice said the teenager was ordered to be held in a jail for juvenile criminals. The court added that he could possibly be held at the facility for at least 54 days.

Attackers Guilherme Taucci Monteiro (17) and Luiz Henrique de Castro (25) killed themselves after killing seven people at the school.

Latin America