The number of people missing after hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas is believed to have dropped from 2,500 to 1,300 people within one day, a government spokesman said on Thursday, September 12th, according to Reuters.
"The number of people registered missing with the Bahamas government is going down daily," Bahamas National Emergency Management Agency spokesman Carl Smith said at a news briefing.
The official number of people who died due to the hurricane reached 50 people, while Prime Minister Hubert Minnis said on Wednesday, September 11th that he expects the number to significantly increase.
Police Commissioner Anthony Ferguson earlier stated expectations that more deceased persons will be discovered “as the process of search and recovery progresses,” adding that 42 deceased persons on the island of Abaco and eight on Grand Bahama had been recovered as of Sunday, September 8th.
"Communities such as The Mudd and Pigeon Pea, where 70% of informal housing in Abaco existed and where an overwhelming majority of Haitian migrants resided, has been decimated," the UN's International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said in a statement.