Havana revealed details on Sunday June 10th about the latest mysterious health incident involving a US diplomat in the country, saying that Cuban officials learned of the episode late last month when Washington said that an embassy official felt ill after hearing “undefined sounds” in her home in Havana.
Cuba said in a statement released by its Foreign Ministry that US officials reported on May 29th that the embassy official had reported experiencing “health symptoms” after hearing the sounds in her home two days earlier.
The statement added that the authorities had sent investigators to the home of the official and that they had found no potential source of a sound. They were not granted access to the official, the Cuban statement said.
US officials said on Friday June 8th that they had had pulled two of their workers out of Cuba and were testing them for possible brain injury. There was no immediate explanation of why the Cuban statement referred to only one.
The two individuals are considered “potentially new cases” but have not yet been “medically confirmed,” a State Department official said.
Two other officials said the individuals have been taken for testing to the University of Pennsylvania, where doctors have been evaluating, treating and studying Americans affected in Cuba last year, as well as almost 10 possible new cases from a US consulate in China.
The officials were not authorised to comment publicly and requested anonymity, Associated Press reported.
If confirmed by doctors as having the same condition, the two individuals would mark the 25th and 26th confirmed patients suffering from the strange incidents in Cuba that were first disclosed last year and have been deemed “specific attacks” by the US government.
Washington has said it doesn’t know who is behind it but has argued that Cuba is responsible for protecting all diplomats on its soil. Cuba has denied any involvement in or knowledge of the events.
“Cuba has publicly and officially reiterated its willingness to cooperate seriously in the joint search for answers, clarity and the solution of the alleged facts,” according to the Cuban statement released on June 10th.