Sudan’s Transitional Military and opposition groups have agreed to resume talks on the formation of a transitional council, an Ethiopian envoy said on Tuesday, June 11th.
According to Reuters, the opposition alliance announced that it will suspend its campaign of civil disobedience and strikes starting from tomorrow.
In addition, the special envoy, Mahmoud Dirir, told reporters in Khartoum that the ruling military council has agreed to release political prisoners as a confidence-building measure.
The talks between the two sides had been suspended in the wake of the violent dispersal of a protest sit-in on June 3rd, which resulted in dozens of deaths among protesters. The new steps signal softening positions.
The crackdown dealt a blow to hopes of a transition towards democratic elections following the overthrow of veteran leader Omar al-Bashir in April, after months of protests.
The Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces (DFCF) alliance on Sunday began an open-ended strike that brought much activity in Khartoum to a standstill.
The alliance said in a statement it would suspend the strike from Wednesday until further notice, though it encouraged people to remain mobilised for possible further action.
Drir's comments followed a mediation mission to Sudan by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed last week.
Opposition sources said Abiy had proposed a 15-member transitional council comprising eight civilians and seven military officers with a rotating presidency.