A helicopter crash in Afghanistan killed two US service members, US forces said on Wednesday November 20th, adding that the accident had not been carried out by an enemy, according to preliminary reports, AFP reported.
The Taliban, however, claimed responsibility for the incident, saying they had shot the helicopter down as the Americans planned to raid a “mujahideen base”.
“Their helicopter was shot down and caught fire. All on board were killed," said the Taliban’s main spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid.
The US Forces Afghanistan said in a statement the incident was under investigation. The statement did not mention details about the location of the accident or the identity of the victims.
On the other hand, the Taliban said the helicopter had been shot down in Charkh district, Logar province at 1:00 am.
On September 8th, the Taliban threatened that the US "will be harmed more than anyone" after US President Donald Trump called a halt to the year-long negotiations with the group to end America's longest war.
"We still... believe that the American side will come back to this position... Our fight for the past 18 years should have proven to the Americans that we will not be satisfied until we witness the complete end of the occupation," the group said in a statement released on Twitter by spokesman Mujahid.
Trump's statement cited a Taliban bomb attack earlier in the capital Kabul that left 12 killed, including an American soldier, as reason for suspending the negotiations and an arranged meeting with the group at Camp David in Maryland.