The chairman of Huawei challenged the United States and other governments on Tuesday December 18th to provide evidence for claims the Chinese tech giant is a security risk. Ken Hu spoke to invited reporters as the company launched a public relations effort to defuse fears that threaten its role in next-generation communications, according to AP.
Talking at Huawei Technologies Ltd.'s headquarters, Hu said the accusations against the biggest global maker of network gear stemmed from "ideology and geopolitics." Hu's denials of any security threats in Huawei equipment echoed previous company statements but marked the first time a Huawei leader directly addressed security complaints, underscoring their sensitivity.
"If you have proof or evidence, it should be made known," said Hu. "Maybe not to Huawei and maybe not to the public, but to telecom operators, because they are the ones that buy Huawei."
He warned against excluding Huawei from 5G networks in Australia and other markets on security grounds would hurt consumers by raising prices and slowing innovation.
"You can't make yourself more excellent by blocking competitors from the playing field," Hu said, citing analysts' suggestions that the accusation was an excuse to shield US or European competitors against a successful Chinese challenger.
Earlier in December, Meng Wanzhou, Huawei's chief financial officer and daughter of the company's founder, was granted bail by a Canadian court after being arrested at the request of the United States, who alleged that the Chinese telecom giant directed sales of US-originating components to Iran in violation of US sanctions.