The Bahamian authorities have updated the death toll and that the death toll from Hurricane Dorian to 50 with the number expected to climb, according to local media, as thousands are evacuated from the archipelago's hardest-hit islands, AFP has reported.
Police Commissioner Anthony Ferguson stated: "We anticipate the discovery of more deceased persons, as the process of search and recovery progresses," adding that 42 deceased persons on the island of Abaco and eight on Grand Bahama had been recovered as of Sunday, September 8th.
"Communities such as The Mudd and Pigeon Pea, where 70% of informal housing in Abaco existed, and where an overwhelming majority of Haitian migrants resided, has been decimated," the UN's International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a statement.
IOM's Brian Kelly, who is leading the UN Disaster Assessment and Coordination team in the area, said: "The Mudd is gone," and the Haitian migrants "are in a very tough situation, just as many of the Bahamians".
According to IOM, approximately 76,000 people were affected by Dorian, and of these, thousands have been evacuated and about 860 are in emergency shelters in the capital city of Nassau.
Furthermore, the World Food Programme (WFP) said in a statement that around 90% of housing and infrastructure is damaged or destroyed on Abaco as thousands of houses levelled, telecommunications towers down and roads blocked, adding that an estimated 5,000 people had been evacuated by the Bahamas.
The WFP stated that it had distributed 1,000 tarpaulin coats to serve as temporary roofs for destroyed homes in Marsh Harbour and it had passed out more than 1,500 ready-to-eat meals, after offloading 13,800 at Marsh Harbour.