Amid growing tensions between the cleric-led Tehran regime and the US, Iran said it will be deploying its newest warship to the Atlantic Ocean on a five-month mission, the conservative Fars news agency’s confirmed on Saturday January 4th.
“The navy has had a plan to deploy a flotilla to the Atlantic Ocean for a few years and now everything seems prepared to launch the mission,” reported Fars, which is considered close to Iran's military leadership.
US-Iranian tensions have escalated since President Trump took Washington out of the world powers’ nuclear deal with Iran in May, and reintroduced sanctions on its banking and energy sectors.
Rear Admiral Touraj Hassani-Moghadam also told the official Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) news agency that the mission would start early in the next Iranian year, which begins in late March. As Reported by AFP, the flotilla will comprise the new guided missile frigate destroyer escort Sahand, which was unveiled just last month, and the recently upgraded 33,000-ton fuel ship Kharg. The ships are among Iran's largest and both are capable of carrying helicopters.
Hassani said in December that Iran would soon send two to three vessels on a mission to Venezuela.