Israel announced on Sunday January 13th that it had discovered all cross-border assault tunnels dug by the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia from Lebanon and will bring its operation to find and destroy them to an end after more than a month.
As reported by AFP, an Israeli military spokesman refused to give a number on how many tunnels had been discovered in total but the military has announced six since the operation was launched. The Israeli army said the last tunnel was exposed on Saturday January 12th.
According to an Israeli military statement, the latest tunnel began in the Lebanese village of Ramyeh, some 800 metres (yards) away from Israel. It reached a few dozen metres into Israel and at 55 metres underground was the deepest as well as "the longest and most detailed" of all the tunnels the army exposed.
The Israeli military also said the discovery marked the end of the operation that it called "Northern Shield" and that the last tunnel will be destroyed in the coming days.