An armed group, believed to be opposition to Libya’s self-styled national army attacked key oil port terminals over the weekend of June 16th and 17th.
Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) said the attacks have caused damage to at least one storage tank.
In a statement on Saturday, the company called on the group to withdraw in an attempt to prevent an “environmental disaster” and further damage to the infrastructure. The group behind the attack is commanded by Ibrahim Jadhran.
In an Associated Press report, the NOC said the oil ports of Ras Lanuf and Es Sidr have been under attack since June 14th. This forced the company to announce a "force majeure" stoppage of crude oil cargo loading and led to the evacuation of employees from the areas.
Jadhran's group had previously controlled the ports in Libya's oil crescent and blockaded them, costing oil-rich Libya billions of dollars. National army forces retook the vital facilities in 2016.
Libya descended into chaos following a 2011 uprising that toppled the longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi.