Mexico’s foreign minister, Marcelo Ebrard, said on Thursday June 6th, that he saw progress in the resolving of an intense immigration dispute with the U S, after talks at the State Department.
"Yes, I think we have advances today," he told reporters after more than two hours of talks with mid-level US officials.
He added that talks would continue later in the day, and that they may reach a "more concrete" conclusion on points raised by Mexico.
"Maybe this afternoon we can share with you the advances that we have," he said.
He declined to comment on whether the talks at the State Department revisited the so-called "safe third-country" option proposed by the U S.
Ebrard earlier in his crisis talks in Washington rejected the proposal, under which Mexico would process all asylum claims by Central Americans fleeing to the U S.
"I won't go into the details right now," Ebrard said when asked about the proposal.
US president Donald Trump, whose hard line on immigration has been his signature issue, had threatened to impose five percent tariffs on all Mexican imports on Monday June 4th, unless the country stems a surge of Central American migrants seeking safety in the U S from violence at home, according to AFP.
White House communications chief Mercedes Schlapp said earlier Thursday June 6th that Mexican proposals so far are "simply not enough."
On the other hand, Mexican president Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said he will travel to the border city of Tijuana on Saturday June 8th, to "defend the dignity of Mexico" in the face of US threats.
"It is an act of unity to defend the dignity of Mexico and in favour of friendship with the people of the U S," he said of his plans at his daily morning news conference.