North Korea said Monday, September 9th that it is willing to resume nuclear diplomacy with the United States in late September, but Washington must come to the negotiating table with acceptable new proposals, AP reported.
If the proposals failed to satisfy North Korea, dealings between the two countries may come to an end, First Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui told state media.
North Korea is willing to sit down with the United States "for comprehensive discussions in late September of the issues we have so far taken up, at a time and place to be agreed," Choe added.
North Korea is widely believed to want the United States to provide it with security guarantees and extensive relief from US-led sanctions in return for limited denuclearisation steps.
Choe said she hopes the United States will bring a proposal geared to the interests of her country.
US President Donald Trump called North Korea's announcement "interesting."
"We'll see what happens," Trump said. "In the meantime, we have our hostages back, we're getting the remains of our great heroes back, and we've had no nuclear testing for a long time."
Talks on North Korea's nuclear disarmament fell apart in February when Trump rejected North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's demand for sweeping sanctions relief in return for partial disarmament at their second summit in Vietnam.