THE STORIES BEHIND THE HEADLINES

Abu Dhabi

London

New York

Tue, 12 Nov 2019 23:18 GMT

NZ Man Jailed for Posting Video of Mosque Massacre

Counterterrorism & Security

7Dnews London

Tue, 18 Jun 2019 08:11 GMT

A New Zealand man has been sentenced to 21 months in prison on Tuesday, June 18th, for sharing videos of a mass shooting at two mosques in Christchurch that killed 51 Muslims last March, Reuters has reported.

Philip Neville Arps, 44, pleaded guilty to two charges of distributing objectionable material after sharing copies of a video in which the Australian, Brenton Tarrant, was seen opening fire on Muslim worshippers on March 15th. The video was broadcast live on Facebook while Tarrant was in the act of murder, according to Radio New Zealand. 

"Arps also shared a video that included cross-hairs and a body count along with the images of the massacre,” the broadcaster said. 

Radio New Zealand also quoted Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O'Driscoll as saying that Arps described the video as "awesome".  

"It is clear from all the material before me that you have strong and unrepentant views towards the Muslim community," O'Driscoll said. 

New Zealand's government has outlawed the sharing of videos of the massacre, a move that was hailed worldwide. 

In 2016, Arps, a self-proclaimed white supremacist, was charged with "offensive behaviour" and fined NZ$800 ($543) after he delivered a bloodied pig's head to Al Noor mosque, according to court documents. 

Last week, Brenton Tarrant pleaded not guilty to 92 counts of murder, attempted murder and terrorism related to the massacre he committed in the two mosques and will stand trial in May 2020.


Asia