Médecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) stated on Tuesday, August 20th that it fears that a boat packed with migrants sunk off the Libyan coast with more than a hundred people dead, according to Reuters.
"We have every reason to fear the worst - that over 100 lives were lost, and nobody will ever know for sure," MSF said in a statement on Twitter.
However, the Libyan coast guard was not immediately available for comment.
Last month, a boat carrying about 250 people, mainly from Eritrea and other sub-Saharan Africa and Arab countries, capsized off the coast near Komas, east of the capital Tripoli.
Libyan coast guards and local fishermen rescued 134 people while about 115 were missing, bringing the death toll of Mediterranean migrants to over 600 this year.
2019 on course is to be the sixth year in a row with more than 1,000 deaths, according to UNHCR spokesman Charlie Yaxley.
It said the exodus from Libya was "one of the most perilous sea crossings in the world", though it continues to be a hub for migrants and refugees.
Libya, which has been wracked by chaos since the 2011 uprising that killed President Moamer Kadhafi, has long been a major transit route for migrants, especially from sub-Saharan Africa, desperate to reach Europe in unseaworthy boats.