Six people are dead in Sudan late on Monday May 13th in violence that broke out after a political transition deal was reached between the opposition and the country’s military rulers, who said they would not tolerate a descent into "chaos," Reuters has reported.
Sudanese state TV said one policeman and five protesters were killed in Khartoum and hundreds demonstrators were wounded after heavy gunfire was heard in the capital late into the evening, but it was not clear who was behind the violence.
The Transitional Military Council (TMC) blamed saboteurs. "Behind this are groups who are those who are working hard to abort any progress in negotiations."
The TMC said it would not allow citizens' safety to be jeopardized. "Neither the (paramilitary) Rapid Support Forces or the army will fire one shot at our protesting brothers, but we repeat: we do not allow chaos," it said.
Demonstrators said anti-revolutionaries associated to the former regime of long-time president Omar al-Bashir prompted Monday May 13th’s violence. The deaths were the first linked to protests in Khartoum in several weeks.
The TMC and the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces opposition alliance said on Monday May 13th that they had agreed to a power structure for the transition following Bashir's removal and arrest last month.
Both said they had agreed on the duties and authorities of sovereign, executive and legislative bodies.
Debates were due to resume on Tuesday May 14th to discuss two sticking points: the military-civilian balance of power in transitional bodies, and the length of the transition before elections.
Protesters are pushing for a swift handover of power to civilians and have kept up demonstrations since Bashir's departure, including a more than month-long sit-in outside the defence ministry.