Abu Dhabi


New York

Sat, 18 Jan 2020 06:56 GMT

Son Strikes as Spurs Beat Man City in Champions League First-Leg


7Dnews London

Wed, 10 Apr 2019 08:17 GMT

Spurs beat Manchester City 1-0 in the first-leg of the Champions League quarter-final at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Tuesday April 9th. A late strike from Son Heung-Min gave Mauricio Pochettino’s side victory in a thrilling encounter in north London. The win means Tottenham have won their first two games at their new stadium.

Spurs started the game strongly, as Dele Alli fired a volley over the bar from Moussa Sissoko’s cross in the 8th minute.

City were given a penalty in the tenth minute. Referee Bjorn Kuipers consulted video assistant referee (VAR) before deciding that Danny Rose had blocked Raheem Sterling’s shot with his hand.

From the ensuing penalty, Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris produced a fantastic save to keep out Sergio Aguero’s spot kick.

In the 24th minute, City failed to clear their lines which led to Harry Kane getting a chance. But the England striker’s shot from a tight angle was saved by Man City goalkeeper Ederson.

City were in possession of the ball a lot but were struggling to create clear-cut chances as the London side defended strongly. Despite the entertaining half, the teams went into the break goalless.

At the start of the second half, England forward Sterling was denied by Lloris before Son curled an effort inches wide of the far post from long range. Kane went off injured just before the hour mark after a strong challenge from England teammate Fabian Delph.

The north London side finally got a breakthrough in the 78th minute. Son initially mis-controlled a Christian Eriksen pass before the South Korean forward kept the ball in play and cut in, on his left foot, to strike past Ederson.

Spurs held out for the victory and will travel to the Etihad Stadium to face Manchester City in the second-leg, on Wednesday April 17th.

The BBC reported that Tottenham boss, Pochettino, spoke to BTSport after the game and was happy with his side’s performance but warned that the tie was far from over.

"It was an unbelievable game. It was so tough. But it is still Manchester City and there is a second leg. We are happy as we showed great quality. The performance was good but there's still 90 minutes to go.”

He also said that Harry Kane could be out for the rest of the season.

"We need to check tomorrow but it looks like it is the same ankle and similar injury. It is very sad and very disappointing. We are going to miss him - maybe for the rest of the season. It is a worry for us. We hope it is not a big issue. But there is not much time to recover. He twisted his ankle so we will see how it reacts in a few hours."

Man City manager, Pep Guardiola, also spoke to BTSport and was upbeat about his side, despite the defeat,

"There are always key moments in football. It is the Champions League and the result is what it is.

"We played well, and we were controlling the game. We had our chances with the penalty, so it was a good performance. But it is the Champions League and that is the challenge."