The cricket legend from Sri Lanka, Sanath Jayasuriya, was banned for two years from all cricket after admitting two breaches of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Anti-Corruption Code, according to the sport’s governing body’s announcement on Tuesday.
Jayasuriya, 49, who is regarded as one of the greatest One-day International batsmen of all time and was vital in winning the 1996 World Cup, accepted the punishment.
"This conviction under the Code demonstrates the importance of participants, in cricket, cooperating with investigations," said Alex Marshall, ICC General Manager of the Anti-Corruption Unit in a statement.
"Compelling participants to cooperate under the Code is a vital weapon in our efforts to rid our sport of corruptors. These rules are essential to maintain the integrity of our sport."
Jayasuriya was charged, in October, after failing to provide his mobile phones to the ACU and was also accused of obstructing or delaying any investigation into corruption in the game.
In a statement he said he had pleaded guilty to the charges expecting a mitigated punishment.
"Consequent to correspondence between the ICC ACU officials and my lawyers we agreed to a sanction of a period of ineligibility of two years, which period is to take effect from the 15th of October 2018," Jayasuriya said.
Notably, Sri Lankan cricket has been mired in corruption allegations in recent years, including claims of match fixing ahead of an international Test against England last year.