THE STORIES BEHIND THE HEADLINES

Abu Dhabi

London

New York

Tuesday 20th March 2018

Syrian Democratic Forces Call on UN and EU to Address Turkish Aggression

Politics

7Dnews London

Wed, 09 Oct 2019 12:19 GMT

The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) demanded at a press conference on Wednesday, October 9th that the United Nations and the European Union confront Turkish aggression in the northeast of the country.

The SDF said, "Turkey aims to occupy our land and eliminate the gains of our people but we are ready to repulse any attack."

The SDF accused Ankara of supplying Isis with weapons, pointing out that the Turkish threat to attack northern Syria could open new territory for elements of the terrorist organisation and that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s regime appears to be deepening the Syrian crisis.

“We call on the United Nations and the Security Council to show more responsibility towards the people of this region and protect them from the Turkish plans which target their existence. We feel sure that any Turkish attack will lead to a humanitarian catastrophe and that a large wave of displacement will take place,” the SDF stated.

In a similar vein, Syria's Kurds on Wednesday declared a three-day public emergency regarding the Turkish threats in northern Syria.

In the Syrian capital of Damascus, Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad called on the country's Kurds to reconcile with the regime after apparently being abandoned by their American allies. His comments were the first Syrian government reaction since Trump's announcement that he would pull out troops from northeast Syria on Sunday, October 6th.

"The homeland welcomes all its sons and Damascus will positively solve all Syrian problems, without the use of violence," Mekdad said in an interview with the pro-government Al-Watan newspaper.

"We will defend all Syrian territory and will not accept any occupation of any land or an iota of Syrian soil," Mekdad said about the imminent Turkish incursion.

The Turkish president has repeatedly threatened to attack Kurdish fighters in northern Syria due to their alleged ties with separatists in his country.

"All of the preparations for an operation have been completed," the Turkish defence ministry tweeted.

President Erdoğan had earlier said the operation could come at any moment "without warning".

Turkey says it wants a "safe zone" along northern Syria to act as a buffer against Kurdish forces and also allow the return home of up to two million Syrian refugees.

The US government’s planned withdrawal of troops from parts of northern Syria is aimed at steering clear away from the explosive situation between the Turkish military and US-allied Kurdish fighters.

In a series of tweets, Trump said that US forces should have left years ago and that they were only supposed to remain there for 30 days.

"We stayed and got deeper and deeper into battle with no aim in sight. When I arrived in Washington, Isis was running rampant in the area. We quickly defeated 100% of Isis," he claimed.

The move marks a major shift in US foreign policy and implicitly gives Turkey a green light to attack Kurdish forces.

Middle East