A statement from the US Africa Command (AFRICOM) has said the four U.S. soldiers wounded in a terrorist attack in Somalia on June 8th are being treated by a US medical team in Kenya, AP reports.
The attack on US, Somali and Kenyan forces in Jubaland resulted in the death of Sergeant Alexander W. Conrad, 26, of Chandler, Arizona, according to the Pentagon; he is the second US soldier to be killed in Somalia in a month. The identities of the wounded soldiers were not released.
The East Africa based, Al-Qaida-linked extremist group, al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack.
Last week, the US military announced they had killed 27 members of al-Shabab in an airstrike in northern Somalia. The joint operation which came under attack on Friday included about 800 Somali and Kenyan troops working alongside the US troops who are present in an advisory and support role.
Sanguni, where the troops came under attack, is still under the control of al-Shabab fighters, said Lt. Col. Abdi Ibrahim from the Somali armed forces. "If God wills, we will chase them until we defeat them.", he added.
In 2017, the Trump administration approved an expansion of military operations against al-Shabab, with more US military personnel on the ground and intensified drone strikes.