The final death toll from the devastation unleashed by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas could be "staggering," a government minister has said, as the storm headed for the United States east coast. AFP reported on Friday September 6th.
Bahamian Prime Minister Hubert Minnis told CNN on Thursday that at least 30 people had been killed in the storm, which caused what he called "generational devastation."
Extra refrigerated coolers to store bodies were being sent to the region to help authorities cope with the deadly impact, Health Minister Duane Sands told local media.
Of the final death toll, he said: "Let me say that I believe the number will be staggering."
Dorian was a Category 5 hurricane, the highest on the five-level wind scale, when it slammed into the northern Bahamas on Sunday, leaving a trail of immense destruction.
Thousands have been left homeless, while the United Nations said 70,000 were in immediate need of aid.
The Miami-based National Hurricane Centre on Friday downgraded Dorian to a Category 1 storm as it headed to North Carolina.
"Dorian should remain a powerful hurricane as the centre moves near or along the coast of North Carolina," staff said.
They warned that although weakening, Dorian was still packing winds of 90 miles per hour, with some areas of the Carolina coast forecast to see dangerous storm surges of up to seven feet and between six and twelve inches of rain.