THE STORIES BEHIND THE HEADLINES

Abu Dhabi

London

New York

Tuesday 20th March 2018

Boko Haram Leaves 8 Dead in Nigeria Attack

Counterterrorism & Security

7Dnews London - AFP

Sun, 01 Sep 2019 00:22 GMT

An attack on farmers and a village in northeast Nigeria left eight people dead and two others abducted by Boko Haram jihadists, AFP reported on Saturday, August 31st.

The horrific attack took place as fighters stormed the village of Balumri, 15 kilometres (10 miles) from the state capital Maiduguri on Friday evening when they started cutting the throats of four male residents and abducting two others, as described by the inhabitants.

Jihadists on Saturday then beheaded four farmers after attacking them as they worked on their crops in the Gidan Waya suburb of the city, members of an anti-Boko Haram militia said.

Boko Haram has been notorious for carrying out brutal attacks on civilians, abducting people, and unleashing suicide bombers on bus stations, mosques and schools.

Maiduguri militia leader Babakura Kolo told AFP, "insurgents seized four famers while working on the farms and decapitated them", adding that the bodies were found with the severed heads lying beside them and were brought to the city this afternoon.

Boko Haram is known for targeting farmers, loggers and herders, accusing them of passing information to soldiers and vigilantes fighting against them. Furthermore, despite previous claims from the Nigerian army that it has crushed the group, the area around Maiduguri has been repeatedly attacked by jihadists.

Thursday also witnessed a similar incident, when fighters shot dead two Balumri residents as they worked on their farms outside the village, according to local residents. Boko Haram has been trying to hit softer targets. The splinter faction loyal to the Islamic State group has ratcheted up attacks against the military since last year.

The decade-long insurgency in northeast Nigeria has killed around 35,000 people, displacing some two million.


Africa