THE STORIES BEHIND THE HEADLINES

Abu Dhabi

London

New York

Tuesday 20th March 2018

Bomber Kills 63 at Kabul Wedding, Isis Claims Responsibility

Counterterrorism & Security

7Dnews London

Sun, 18 Aug 2019 12:30 GMT

Celebration and happiness turned into horror and carnage, when a suicide bomber targeted a packed Afghan wedding hall, killing at least 63 people, in the deadliest attack to rock Kabul in months, officials and witnesses said Sunday August, 18th .

The massive blast, which took place late Saturday August 17th, in west Kabul, came as Washington and the Taliban finalise a deal to reduce the US military presence in Afghanistan, and hopefully build a roadmap towards a ceasefire, AFP has reported.  

The groom recalled greeting smiling guests in the afternoon, before seeing their bodies being carried out hours later. 

The attack "changed my happiness to sorrow," the young man, who gave his name as Mirwais, told local TV station Tolo News. 

"I lost my brother, I lost my friends, I lost my relatives. I will never see happiness in my life again." 

"My family, my bride, are in shock, they cannot even speak. My bride keeps fainting," he said. 

Interior ministry spokesman, Nasrat Rahimi, said at least 63 people had been killed and 182 injured. 

"Among the wounded are women and children," Rahimi said. Earlier he stated a suicide bomber carried out the attack. 

Terrorist group Isis later claimed responsibility for the suicide attack.    


Asia