Queen Elizabeth II agreed on Monday January 13th to allow her grandson, Prince Harry and his wife Megan, to give up their royal duties to lead a more independent life, after crisis talks involving the most senior members of the royal family.
The Queen, 93, said in a statement, "My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family."
"Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family."
The Queen explained that there will be a transitional period during which the couple will spend time between the UK and Canada, noting that there is a need to do more work on finalising future arrangements for them, Reuters has reported.
She added that the final decision on the future of the couple, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will be decided within days. "I have asked for final decisions to be reached within days," said the Queen.
According to AFP, she said that she held very constructive talks with Harry and his brother Prince William and their father, Prince Charles, with the aim of charting a course for their future after the fallout from their bombshell announcement.
The crisis erupted when Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, announced publicly last week that they wanted to strip down their royal duties and spend more time in North America, Reuters said.
Their resignation came after a year filled with rumours of infighting between brothers, and many reports that Megan, an American actress, is feeling uncomfortable in the traditional and organised royal family, AFP explained.