Abu Dhabi


New York

Tuesday 20th March 2018

Sterling Scores Brace as Man City Beat Crystal Palace


Ahmed Ahmed

Sun, 14 Apr 2019 23:00 GMT

Two goals from Raheem Sterling helped Manchester City earn a 3-1 victory away at Crystal Palace on Sunday April 14th. Palace managed to pull a goal back before City wrapped the victory through substitute Gabriel Jesus’ late goal in the game.

The first big chance of the game fell to Manchester City in the 11th minute. David Silva dribbled his way to the bye-line before picking out an unmarked Sterling, in the centre, who disappointingly scuffed his shot wide.  

The Manchester club were dominating midfield early in the game as Palace found themselves chasing shadows. The breakthrough came in the 15th minute.A through ball from Kevin de Bruyne freed Sterling, who struck into the top corner to put his side ahead.  

City continued to put on the pressure as Sergio Aguero fired an effort over the bar just before the half hour mark. Minutes later Leroy Sane dribbled into the box and produced a good save from Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita. Last ditch defending from the home side stopped both Sane and De Bruyne adding to the lead, just before half-time as Pep Guardiola’s side entered the break a goal up. 

The visitors picked up right where they left of at the start of the second-half as De Bruyne’s cross was inadvertently diverted towards his own goal by Martin Kelly, but Guaita managed to save his defender from an own goal. The Sky Blues doubled their lead just past the hour mark. Sterling struck into the bottom corner with a first-time shot after Sane’s low cross. 

Not long after,Cheikhou Kouyaté had a goal-bound shot deflected over the bar by Vincent Kompany before Christian Benteke had a shot saved by City goalkeeper Ederson.  

In the 82nd minute, James McArthur was brought down by Kompany just outside the area. Luka Milivojevic stepped up and slammed the free-kick into the bottom corner to pull a goal back for the hosts. 

The grand stand finish never came for Palace as they poured men forward but failed to create clear-cut chances and were eventually punished by a counter attack in the 90th minute.A break led to De Bruyne playing the ball through for substitute Jesus, who slotted past Guaita to wrap up the victory. 

Manchester City’s Manager, Guardiola, spoke to Sky Sports after the game and said his side were handling the busy schedule well  

"We played December, January, February.Every three days.Why should we not trust these guys to do it again? Of course, we can lose, we are not invincible. We have weaknesses.” 

Crystal Palace’s manager, Roy Hogdson, also spoke to Sky Sports and was proud of his side’s efforts. 

"We gave it our best shot. I can't complain with the way the team tried hard to give Man City a good game and dent their progress.But we weren't good enough to do that."