A suicide bomber blew himself up at a wedding ceremony in eastern Afghanistan on Friday July 12th killing at least five people and injuring dozens more, an official told AFP.
The Taliban, who had pledged earlier to try to reduce civilian casualties, denied responsibility for the explosion which occurred in Nangarhar province, close to the Pakistan border where other militias including Isis are located.
"This morning at 8 am (3.30 am GMT), a suicide bomber detonated himself at a wedding ceremony in Pachiragam district", Attaullah Khogyani, the Nangarhar governor's spokesperson, told AFP.
"As a result, five were killed and more than 40 wounded."
Hazrat Khan Khaksar, the Pachiragam district governor, put the toll at 14 killed and 14 injured but he cautioned that the figures might change.
Zahir Adil, the Nangarhar regional hospital spokesperson, told AFP that two of the bodies and 11 injured victims had been admitted.
Today's blast comes just days after historic US-led talks between Afghan representatives and the Taliban ended in a "roadmap for peace", in an attempt to end the war and reduce civilian casualties to zero.