A senior US official said on Wednesday September 18th that the UN had to respond to the attacks on Saudi oil facilities belonging to Aramco in Abqaiq and Khurais earlier in September, Reuters reported.
The US blames Iran for the attack, although Houthi militias in Yemen claimed responsibility for them shortly after they took place.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Sunday September 15th warned of escalation after Houthi drones had attacked oil facilities belonging to Saudi Aramco oil company in Khurais and Abqaiq the previous day.
"We do see a role for the UN Security Council to play. Saudi Arabia was attacked, and it would be appropriate for them to call upon the council. But we first need to gather the releasable information," the US official told reporters on condition of anonymity.
A spokesperson told Reuters on Sunday September 15th that the US blamed Iran for the recent drone attacks on Saudi Arabian oil facilities, saying that they came from a west-northwest direction.
The official, not named by Reuters, said that the scope and precision of the attacks on some Aramco facilities in Khurais and Abqaiq on Saturday September 14th, suggested that they did not come from Yemen, meaning that Houthis were not behind them.
"There's no doubt that Iran is responsible for this. No matter how you slice it, there's no escaping it. There's no other candidate. Evidence points in no other direction than that Iran was responsible for this," the official told Reuters.